Wednesday, April 21, 2010

So Long, Insecurity

So I finally finished the book So Long, Insecurity and I loved it! And I just finished it in time because one of the churches not far from me is broadcasting the simulcast of Beth Moore's event in Atlanta this Saturday, and I just got tickets to attend it. I am so excited to hear her speak (somewhat) in-person.


So I'll admit I was a little skeptical of the book at first, but by the final chapter I really felt like I had not only learned something, but that I actually felt like I was starting to see some changes in my confidence.

I actually started this book almost 2 months ago. I was going through some tough times at work, which were starting to impact my personal life as well. I came across this book through another blog that I follow and I thought it sounded interesting. After researching it a little further, I finally decided to purchase the book. I actually debated on renting it from the library, but am so glad that I purchased it. There were a couple of times where I was so moved that I actually took notes in the book to refer back to.

The first couple of chapters were ok, but things started to really hit home around chapter 5 where it started to explain where insecurity comes from. This chapter hit me like a ton of bricks.

In this chapter Beth talks about dramatic change and how sometimes change can be so dramatic that it will impact you for years to come. I admit that I hate change, especially big changes, and the last couple of years I have had to deal with some big changes. I don’t mind little changes, but I always fear big changes like what if I lose my job, or my home, or what if something happens to my family, friends, boyfriend, etc. With the economy these days, there are a lot of changes that can occur that you just cannot control. I guess change that I cannot control is my biggest fear of all. This is where I start questioning, “Why me? What did I do to deserve this?”

Beth explains that “God uses change to change us. He doesn’t use it to destroy us or to distract us but to coax us to the next level of character, experience, compassion, and destiny.” I’ll admit that when I read these 2 sentences I just had to jump up and highlight this part of the book!

The end of the book wraps up by once again focusing on fear. Beth quotes the following verse (and changes “he” for “she” for more impact):

“[She] will have no fear of bad news; [her] heart is steadfast, trusting in the LORD. [Her] heart is secure, [she] will have no fear; in the end [she] will look into triumph on [her] foes.” Psalm 112:7-8

Beth translates this passage by saying that no matter how bad things may seem, God will help to work things out to our advantage in the end. One exercise she explains is to think about one of your worst fears. And think about how this will impact your life. You may grieve, you may be very mad, and it may really impact your life. But then think what you would do to get through it, and think about 6 months or 1 year, or even 5 years later, how do you think you would have gotten through it and how would your life be different. She says it’s important to think about more than just the immediate changes and impacts on your life, but to think about how chances are you will get through it, and your life will move on. One of my favorite quotes is “If God took you to it, He’ll get you through it.”

There are many more things that I took away from this book, but I won’t bore you any longer. I highly suggest this book to anyone who may have insecurities, or really to any woman out there whether you think you are insecure or not. This book really causes you to think, and of course Beth is so encouraging and empowering that just a few chapters in you already feel so much more confident as a woman.

1 comment:

  1. great post :) I know how that is...although I am similar, I do like change, just change that I ask fcr! Guess that isn't always how it happens. I am going to read this this summer--looking forward to it :) We should do a book swamp among the blogs, wouldn't that be fun??

    ReplyDelete