Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Tips Tuesday - Workout Motivation


For this week’s Tips Tuesday, I thought I would discuss some things that help to motivate me to work out. Of course I am not a doctor, nor a personal trainer, but just wanted to share what helps me.



You are not a professional athlete/supermodel
First of all, it’s important to remember that we are not supporting our families by working out. Nor is this a life or death situation. So do what you can, don’t put too much pressure on yourself, and learn to enjoy it (I will admit, I am still learning how to enjoy it…ha!). Luckily for us our paycheck doesn’t rely on how fast or how many miles we can run, or if we can fit into a size 0 swimsuit (and thank the Lord for that!!).

Set realistic goals
As I mentioned above, this is not our profession, so set realistic goals, and you may even want to set milestones or mini-goals to reach your goals.

For example, my big overall goal was to tone my legs. I decided to start running because I felt that would help me tone my legs. I then set a goal to run a 5K. It’s good to set goals because they help keep you motivated knowing there is an end you are trying to reach.

I’ll be honest, I hate to run, and have never been very good at it, so my first mini-goal was to run 1 mile. I started out running/walking that first mile. Running 2-3 mins, then walking 1 min, until I reached that first mile. I then continued to walk until I reached a total of 3 miles.

I then made it to running a half a mile, walking a couple of mins, and then running another half a mile. Finally I made it to running 1 mile straight.

I then kept adding to my 1 mile. At first it was running 1 mile, walking a few mins, and then running another half mile. Then I got to the point of running 2 miles straight.

Right now I am working on that last mile. I can run 2 miles straight, then I walk a few mins, run another half mile, walk a few mins, and then run that last half mile to get me to 3 miles. I know a 5K is slightly over 3 miles, but I like I said, set those mini-goals.

Remember to start slow also, especially if you haven’t worked out in a while. You may not even be able to run. Walking on the treadmill, or riding a bike, may be the best you can do, and that is ok. If you try too much at once, you will hurt yourself, and that defeats the whole purpose of working out.

It’s ok to rest
If you need a breather, it’s ok to take a min or 2 to catch your breath, get a sip of water. Just make sure that you don’t stop completely. They actually say if you slow down for a few mins, and then start back up again that it actually helps you burn more calories because you trick your body into thinking it’s slowing down, and then you get going again.

Find your motivation
I find I enjoy running inside the gym more than running outside because of 1. air conditioning and 2. because each treadmill has a little mini-tv attached. I tend to schedule my gym time around some of my favorite shows. Also, I love to bring my favorite magazines to the gym to read. I try and get my running over first, and then I can read a little while I am walking it out. I save my favorite magazines so I can only read them at the gym (makes me then want to go!).

New clothes/shoes are very important
Cute new gym clothes make you not only feel comfortable, but they can also be a great motivation to get you to the gym. Also, new shoes are very important to keep you supported. I found that I was having knee problems because my shoes were old. You should replace them at least once a year (some may suggest every 6 months, but then again, we are not athletes, just replace them when they start feeling worn).

Every Little Bit Helps
I try to get to the gym at least 2 times a week (once on the weekend, and once during the week). Sometimes I might even make it 3 times. I don’t beat myself up if I can’t get there though. I figure even if I only get there 1 time that week, it’s better than not going at all.

Mix it up
Sometimes I take classes at the gym. It keeps things interesting so I don’t get burned out. Also, I have a few DVD’s at home that I like to try when I can’t, or don’t feel like, making it to the gym. It no excuse if you have the tools at home.

I hope you enjoyed my tips, and if anyone has any other tips to share, feel free to leave them in the comments below.

5 comments:

  1. I desperately need new shoes! Mine are giving me ankle problems...ugh, it just isn't my favorite purchase!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You. Are. An. ANGEL!

    Thank you so much! you have no idea how much I needed to hear this today :)

    Thanks for stopping by Mingle Monday!!

    xo,
    Meg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! Found you on Mingle Monday! :) Love your post! Just got some new running shoes and wow! What a difference! Great post! :)

    www.thekimcheechronicles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I found you on mingle Monday. These tips were so helpful!! I just need to implement them and I'm golden :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tips! I am always looking for new ways to stay motivated at the gym!

    ReplyDelete