Saturday, August 14, 2010

Pink Saturday - 8/14/10 - Glamping

Happy Pink Saturday everyone! Our family is attempting to have a garage sale this weekend, so hopefully we can sell some of our junk (or treasure to some!)

Last week, when my boyfriend and I were sitting by the pool on vacation, I was reading the Aug 2010 issue of Southern Living Magazine and came accross this article about Glamping. I turned to my boyfriend and said, "Wow! I might actually consider camping if it was like this!" He turned to me and said "Jen, that is not camping"


Glamping is a form of upscale camping using tents with plumbing (including hot water and toilets), natural cooling and furnished with European antiques and luxurious bedding. According to The Martyn House website (the company featured in the magazine), glamorous tents have been around since 200 AD when the Ottomans used these tents for cultural or royal ceremonies. A form of Glamping immerged again in the early 1900’s in Africa to cater to the needs of wealthy, demanding American and European travelers who sought adventure in the wild.


According to the article in Southern Living, prices start at around $180 per night for a min 2 night stay. I am not sure though if this is per person, or per tent, but it looks really cool! My aunt stayed in something similar to this in Africa when she went on a safari, and she said it was awesome!


If anyone has ever stayed in one of these, please share your experience/thoughts on it. I don't know if this is something I'll do in the near future, but maybe someday!

Thanks for stopping by, and check out Beverly's blog for more info on Pink Saturday and to see the list of participants.

10 comments:

  1. I am 100% with you Jen. I could Glamp like this anyday!! I have never glamped or camped. Ha! I've always wanted to camp but just the thought of sleeping on the hard ground and with no restroom facilities.... no way!! Just impossible for me!! But this... I'm ready to jump on board!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What cute pictures-I could Glamp as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful pictures, wellllll, I might consider it then.

    Have a wonderful PS summer weekend ~
    TTFN ~ Hugs, Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  4. I want to go Glamping now. I think my boyfriend wouold consider camping if he saw these

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could add on of these on to my pink camper-how fun! The pic are so neat-thanks for sharing!Happy PS!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These tents are so facinating-Happy PS!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow wow wow! Take me glamping! And I love the term :)

    Great blog! Glad I found you! From Life of Meg :)

    Army Wife. European Life. Two Adopted Danes.
    * http://donandamanda.blogspot.com *

    ReplyDelete
  8. well it does look very luxurious but i think your boyfriends right, camping is about the experience, you may as well rent a hotel if you want to do that.
    At a recent music festival I went to they had VIP camping which was basicly the same, I just didn't see the point.
    I think it's good for people who don't like the idea of camping at all, it's like a crash course or maybe not!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. How fun! I have heard of "Glamping" before, I'm with your, I might actually go camping if it were like this! Have a great week, Nan

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just had to come back and tell you, I noticed you are from Westerville, my youngest dd attends OC! I love Westervile, it is such a pretty little town.

    ReplyDelete