Monday, February 15, 2010

A vintage apron, pancakes, and yes, more snow!

A couple of weeks ago my mom and I made this vintage apron.


It was a kit by Springs Creative that included pre-printed fabric (you just cut the pieces out) and instructions. Some of the kits mentioned you can do this within an hour. Mom and I took our time (I cut the pieces out while watching tv), so it probably took us about 1.5 hours, but if you were pretty fast you could probably do this within an hour.

Mom showed me a handy way for turning the straps inside-out. We sewed some cording inside the tube, and then used that to pull it inside out. Overall it wasn't too difficult (depsite some of the online reviews which said it was really difficult, not sure if they were inexperienced sewers or not, or maybe they just needed Mom =).

Then this weekend I was watching an episode of Down Home with the Neelys (they are so much fun to watch), and they were making pancakes. This got me craving some pancakes (which I realized I haven't had in years!!) so I decided to try and make some from scratch (since I didn't have any pancake mix). Now I didn't have all the ingredients to make the Neelys version (but try it out, it looked good), so I tried a version from Nigella Lawson's How to Be A Domestic Goddess cookbook.

Photobucket
Stack of pancakes
Photobucket
The nice big pancake that I made to finish up the batter.

American Breakfast Pancakes

-- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
-- 1 tablespoon baking powder
-- pinch of salt
-- 1 teaspoon sugar
-- 2 large eggs, beaten
-- 2 tablespoons butter, melted and cooled
-- 1 1/3 cups milk

I mixed all ingredients in a blender (per Nigella's recommendation), and then poured onto my electric skillet. Very tastey.
Photobucket
And of course, today we have even more snow. This is the 3rd big snowstorm in a little over a week. And none of the snow from the previous 2 storms has melted yet, so the piles just keep getting bigger and bigger.
Photobucket
Pile of snow just off my patio (which is also covered in snow yet again).
Photobucket
Abby with snow on her nose. I think she is starting to get fed up also!

No comments:

Post a Comment