Thursday, February 3, 2011

Loaded Baked Potato Soup

I found this recipe through Rachel's blog, and I think she found it through another blog, but when I went back to try and find it I couldn't. It was pretty good, and uses yogurt instead of cream, so it's not too bad for you.

I'll admit, the soup itself is kind of bland, but the toppings are what really make it good. I also discovered that mixing Kansas City Steak Seasoning with it really makes it pop! I discovered this one time when I made potato skins, and the recipe called for seasoned salt, and I only had steak seasoning on hand. I highly recommend trying it to help punch things up a bit. I also used  bacon and cheese, but you could also use salsa, tomatoes, sour cream, or really anything you desire.


Loaded Baked Potato Soup

Ingredients:
-- 1.5 tbs olive oil
-- 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
-- 2 cloves garlic, minced
-- 2.5 lbs potatoes, diced
-- 3 cups chicken stock
-- 1/2 cup plain yogurt

Directions:
Set a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Once it's hot, add the oil, onion and garlic and cook for 5 mins, or until the onions are just starting to become translucent.

Add the diced potatoes and simmer for another couple of mins, then add the chicken stock. Let the stock come to a simmer, then reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and cook for 20-30 mins, or until the potatoes are tender. Remove from the heat and stir in the yogurt.

The recipe then calls to transfer half of the soup to a blender, but I just used a potato masher to help break up some of the potatoes. I like my potato soup kind of chunky, so I didn't do this too much.

Serve immediatly with your choice toppings.

1 comment:

  1. YUM!!! I love loaded baked potato soup. I'm bookmarking this recipe for my next time making it!!! XOXO

    ReplyDelete