Thursday, January 20, 2011

Spicy Chipotle Turkey Chili

As I mentioned before, my goal is to try 50 new recipes this year. This is my second new recipe of the year, that worked! Ha! I tried a new receipe last week, but for some reason I cannot make pesto to save my life. It was the second time trying to make it, and I think maybe my food processor just wasn't meant to make pesto, or maybe it's me. Who knows, but we live and move on.

This recipe came from the Cooking Light Fresh Food Fast: Weeknight Meals. It wasn't too bad, but I think I have had much better chili. A couple of things I liked was that it was fast (took like 15 mins to make, although you could probably put it in a crock pot if you preferred), it was pretty healthy, and it didn't take a ton of ingredients.

It was a little bland for me, and not as hot and spicy as I was expecting. This could be due to the fact that I didn't have chipotle chili seasoning (I just used regular), and I only used half of the poblano pepper (I wasn't sure how hot it was going to be), and I used mild salsa. I did end up adding some extra chili seasoning to it, and it was much better. Next time I will probably use the whole poblano pepper, more chili seasoning, or maybe a medium salsa.

I also tried the corn muffins that was suggested on the same page, and I was not impressed. They were kind of dry, and not very flavorful.

Spicy Chipotle Turkey Chili


Ingredients:

-- 1 tbsp olive oil
-- 1 pound ground turkey
-- 1 large poblano pepper, seeded and finely chopped
-- 2 cups water
-- 1 tsp chipotle chili powder
-- 2 (16-ounce) cans of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
-- 1 (16-ounce) jar mild chipotle salsa
-- Chedder cheese, sour cream and other toppings

Directions:
Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat; add turkey and pobalo pepper; cook for 5-10 minutes or until turkey is brown; stir to crumble.

Stir in water and next three ingredients; cover and bring to a boil; mash the beans lightly with a potato masher until the soup is slightly thickened; 6 servings. Garnish with favorite toppings (I used chedder cheese and fat free sour cream) and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment