Sunday, January 23, 2011

Grilled Rosemary Chicken with Chunky Tomato Salsa

So I tried a couple of new recipes this weekend, so I will have lots to share this week. For the most part, they turned out awesome. One of my favorites was the Grilled Rosemary Chicken with Chunky Tomato Salsa from the Cooking Light Fres Food Fast: Weeknight Meals cookbook. It is actually supposed to be Chunky Tomato-Avacado Salsa, but I left the avacado out of the recipe because I knew I would have leftovers, and although I LOVE avacado, I hate how it browns within a couple of hours (and believe me, I have tried all the tricks, and still no luck!).


The chicken smelled heavenly while is was cooking, and I have decided that rosemary and chicken should always go together. I totally want to now try and grow a rosemary plant just to put on my chicken all the time!

I think the Chunky Tomato Salsa would go great on a salad, especially if you cut this chicken up into pieces, they would both be wonderful on a bed of salad greens. I would definitly recommend this recipe!

Grilled Rosemary Chicken:

Ingredients:
-- 2 tbs olive oil
-- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
-- 1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary
-- 1 tbs minced garlic
-- 4 (4 oz) chicken cutlets (I only cooked, 2, but wished I would have cooked 4!)
-- 1/4 tsp salt
-- 1/4 tsp black pepper
-- Cooking spray
-- Chunky Tomato Salsa (see recipe below)

Directions:
Combine first 4 ingredients in a large heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; place chicken between 2 sheets of plastic wrap; pound to 1/4 inch thickness using a meat mallet (or small heavy skillet like I did); sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper, and add to the bag; seal and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 mins.

The recipe then called to grill the chicken, but I baked it in a dish at 350 degrees for 25 mins because it was too cold out to grill. Add the Chunky Tomato Salsa before serving.

Chunky Tomato Salsa:

Ingredients:
-- 1 tbs chopped fresh oregano (I didn't have this, so I just used dried italian seasoning, and it was good)
-- 1 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
-- 2 tbs red wine vinegar
-- 1 garlic clove minced
-- 2 cups grape tomatoes, halved
-- 1/2 cup crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese
-- 1 ripe peeled avacado, chopped (if you prefer)

Directions:
Combine first 4 ingredients in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk; add tomato halves and cheese and avacado (if desired) and toss gently; spoon over chicken. Makes enough for 4 servings.

1 comment:

  1. I just got the Cooking Light 2011 500 best recipes and CANNOT put it down. I love it!!!

    ReplyDelete