Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Savannah and The Lady And Sons

Savannah is probably one of my favorite cities, and when my boyfriend and I were discussing taking a trip to Hilton Head, I told him the only thing I really wanted to do was go to Savannah for a day. I was so excited that we were able to take a day trip, but was a little bummed that it rained that day. Of course it didn't start to really downpour until later in the day, and luckily that was the only day that it wasn't sunny, so all in all it wasn't too bad.

Photobucket


What I love most about Savannah, and the south in general, is all of the southern trees with the hanging Spanish moss. I really enjoyed walking through the little squares in the city. We weren't able to tour too many of them because of the weather, but the ones we did visit were beautiful.

Photobucket


Photobucket


While we were there, we had the chance to eat at Paula Deen’s restaurant The Lady and Sons. Luckily I looked it up online, because there was a protocol for getting a table at the restaurant.

Photobucket


We arrived about 9:15 am to stand in line, although there were people there at 8 am! The hostess stand opened up at 9:30 am to take our names. It didn’t take long to reach the hostess stand, probably because the weather was cruddy, and it was the middle of the week, in May.

Photobucket


Anyway, we were able to choose what time we wanted to be seated (11 am, Noon, 1 pm or 2 pm) and then were asked to wait across the street from the restaurant 15 mins prior to our reservation (which for us was 10:45 am since we choose the 11 am reservation). Once our names were called (which didn’t take too long), we were given a card, and asked to take the elevator to the 3rd floor to another hostess stand which then took us to our table.

Photobucket


Once we arrived at our table, they took our drink orders (sweet tea of course!) and brought us each a hoe cake and a cheesy biscuit (which were awesome!).

Photobucket


We both decided to try the buffet so that we could sample a lot of different kinds of food. My favorite was the baked chicken, mac and cheese and mashed potatoes. We both also got to choose a dessert and I choose the chocolate chip butter cake (which was almost too sweet, but very good), and my boyfriend choose the peach cobbler. Of course we tried each other’s desserts, and the peace cobbler was awesome also.

Photobucket


We really enjoyed the food at The Lady and Sons, but both ate WAY too much. We were a little stuffed, so we sat on a bench and watched these fountains for about 20 mins or so just to feel a little better.

Photobucket


I also went into the Paula Deen store,

Photobucket


I picked up an autographed copy of her book The Lady and Sons Savannah Country Cookbook, as well as a cute platter with images of Savannah on it.



Photobucket


We also took a trip to Tybee Island that day, but I’ll save that post for another day.

2 comments:

  1. Oh I love that cookbook and that platter is ADORABLE. Isn't Savannah so charming??? Loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you had a great time in Savannah! I love Savannah!!

    ReplyDelete