Sunday, September 12, 2010

Book Club: The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes (Chapters 50 - 71)

So this is the last week for the book The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes over at Book Beginnings and Bookends. I wasn’t sure about this book at first since I had never heard of this author, but I ended up loving the book. I actually finished the book last Monday night right after I posted my responses because I couldn’t wait to see how it ended. I don’t want to completely ruin the book, so I think I’ll just stick to answering the questions this week. Hopefully they won’t ruin the ending.



1. At the end we find out Tim was sending Cory money because he thought she could be his daughter since he was having an affair with Genevieve. Did you see this coming?

I totally didn’t see this coming. I figured he was just feeling guilty. I couldn’t believe he was having an affair with Genevieve, and then had the nerve to kidnap her. I am assuming he knew she was pregnant from the start and she was apparently angry at him after the comment she made to CeeCee about him being a womanizer. He probably broke her heart as well.

2. By the end of the story, what were your feelings about Eve? How had they changed since the beginning?

I did feel bad for her. I kept thinking there is no way this woman is going to survive jail. Yes it is horrible that she took Cory, and Cory’s real family has missed all these years of being with her, but at the same time, Eve totally turned around her life and she did raise Cory the best she could given the circumstances.

3. Were you happy with the way President Russell treated Cory?

No, it wouldn’t have been how I would have preferred he treated her, but I don’t think he really knew better. He is one of those fathers that believe spending money on their children will buy their love, and I am sure he did this to his other daughter as well. It really didn’t surprise me.

4. If you were in Cory's shoes and had just found out all of this about the woman who raised you and who you believed to be your mother, how would you react? Would you forgive?

Oh my, I can’t imagine how I would feel. I am sure I would react the same way. It would be hard to forgive, but at the same time, Eve did give Cory a pretty good life. Cory had completely mixed emotions, and I totally understand why. I am glad the book ended the way it did though. I think Cory did the right thing.

5. In your mind, how does this story end? Do they all live happily ever after? Does Cory go on having relationships with her old family and her new family?

I hope they all live happily ever after. I am not sure if the two families will end up getting along or spending any time together. I am sure that Cory’s birth family has some pretty strong feelings about the family that raised her. I do hope that Cory gets to know her birth family and that her birth father starts to learn that money isn’t going to buy her love.

6. How do you think Cory has changed throughout the story? Have your feelings about her changed?

I totally think Cory has grown up a lot throughout the story. I was especially happy to see how she treated Eve at the end of the story. I think that throughout the whole process, which had to be tough, she did the right thing by forgiving Eve. It took a lot to do that, and really showed how much she has grown through all of this. I was also super happy she dumped Ken. He was a total jackass!

And if you are interested in joining the book club over at Book Beginnings and Bookends, we will be starting a new book soon. Right now there is a poll going on and the choices for the next book are:

-- Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay

-- Commencement by J. Courtney Sullivan

-- The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

1 comment:

  1. I am still in awe about the affair with the Governor's wife.

    ReplyDelete