Saturday, December 4, 2010

Sugar Crinkles -- Favorite Holiday Cookie Recipe

I love making christmas cookies. Every year I always like to try a new recipe, but I also have my favorites I love to make year after year. A few years ago I purchased one of my favorite cookie cookbooks.
Southern Living Incredible Cookies

One of my favorite recipes from this cookbook is the Sugar Crinkles. They are a sugar cookie that is rolled into balls, and then rolled into sugar. They are similar to a molasses sugar cookie because they have that crinkled sugary coating. What I love about them though is they have a slight lemon flavor. Sugar and lemon to me is a great flavor combination. I love to add red and green sprinkles to my sugar to make them even more festive. Below is a picture of the cookies I made last year.


Sugar Crinkles

Yield: about 5 1/2 dozen

Ingredients
-- 1 cup shortening
-- 1 1/2 cups sugar
-- 2 large eggs
-- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
-- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
-- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
-- 2 teaspoons baking powder
-- 1/2 teaspoon salt
-- 1/4 cup sugar

Directions:
Beat shortening and 1 1/2 cups sugar at medium speed of an electric mixer until fluffy. Add eggs and flavorings, beating until blended.

Combine flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to shortening mixture, beating well. Cover and chill dough.

Shape dough into 1" balls. Roll balls in 1/4 cup sugar. Place balls on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 350° for 8 to 9 minutes or until barely golden. Let cool 2 minutes on cookie sheets. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.

I am posting this recipe for Beverly's Pink Saturday

5 comments:

  1. Jen, I love Southern Living anything ... & yes, these are a breeze to make & are deelish!

    Have a beautiful winter day ~
    TTFN ~ Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. These sound so good! Can't wait to start baking.
    I'm your newest follower and would be delighted if you returned the favor.
    Happy PS!
    tammy @www.beatricebanks.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look so good and I like the traditional red and green sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That recipe for sugar cookies sounds so good and I love your photos. Happy Pink Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love these!

    I'm still visiting around for Pink Saturday. Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete